Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Created My Own Superhero, Then Crocheted Her

I was brainstorming Halloween costume ideas and had been thinking for a couple days when I thought of maybe being a superhero. Then I was thinking okay, but what would I be the superhero of? And then it hit me =) Her name is "The Yarn Bomber" and she has telekinesis, but prefers to use it mainly on yarn. So I drew out what I would wear if I was a crocheting superhero and this is what I came up with =) comfortable, non revealing, and functional.


Then I was debating what color to make her and her emblem, because color is a very big part of yarn crafting. I scanned the picture into my computer pasted the cropped pictures and printed out a coloring page. I took out my markers and colored in all the combinations I wanted to see in action. As soon as I saw the yellow suit I was in love with it so that's why 7 of the 8 of them are yellow. It's also my favorite color.  


You can see below that I choose yellow and blue =) the emblem on her chest is felt that I colored with permanent markers. I made the pattern myself, which I'm really proud of  =) Her hair was actually the hardest part, probably because I'd never made hair before. Her little mask is actually one long piece of chaining and two shorter pieces sew onto the face.

I then add a ball of yarn to her hand and used 4 pieces of yarn tied and then spun around, because the head was already sewn shut, to make the mask look less like glasses and more like a mask =)

I made the ball of yarn the same way you would make a normal ball of yarn except I started wrapping the yarn just around one finger. Once the ball was stable enough and the size I wanted I tucked in the end piece so it wouldn't unravel. I stuck a small piece of blue yarn through the ball and her hand and tied them together. I then added a piece of yarn coming out of the ball, so that even if this yarn gets pulled the ball is still intact. 

I got my yellow morphsuit in the mail on Tuesday so I should have my costume ready by Halloween =) Seeya Soon 


No comments:

Post a Comment